Curious how to dye pasta for sensory play? I’ll teach you everything you need to know and give you step-by-step instructions. Let’s go!
What to make something that’s super cheap, easy, and fun?? I have the perfect suggestion for you! Drum roll please……….. dyed pasta!! That’s right, you can dye pasta and it’s amazing. It’s so easy, and your kids are going to love it!
Dyed pasta is one of my favorite activities for my kids! It’s perfect for sensory play and so much fun. I just love it! The bright colors make me so happy. There are only three ingredients to make this colored pasta, and the possibilities are endless!
Dye Pasta with Food Coloring Recipe
2 cups dry pasta of your choice
1 tablespoon vinegar
A few drops of Food coloring
Cookie sheet or parchment paper
- Put pasta into a ziplock bag.
- Add one tablespoon vinegar and a few drops of dood coloring to the bag and seal it.
- Shake the pasta until it is evenly coated.
- Pour pasta onto a cookie sheet or parchment paper to dry. It takes between 30-60 minutes to be completely dry.
- Have tons of fun with your new pasta!!
There are so many ways to educationally use dyed pasta. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Spell letters or words with the pasta
- Write numbers or math facts with the pasta
- Sort into colors for color matching
- Put pasta into pots and pans for pretend play
What kind of paint do you use to dye pasta?
Any kind of acrylic paint will work, but I use the Apple Barrel brand.
What kind of pasta can you use to dye pasta?
My favorites to use are rotini, cellentani, bowtie, and rigatoni. Any kind will work!
Need more ideas?
If this post on colored pasta was helpful, here are some of our other ideas to try!
- Edible dirt for sensory play
- Play dough sensory kit
- How to dye rice for sensory play
- My favorite homemade play dough recipe
Final Thoughts on The Best Way to Dye Pasta with Food Coloring:
I hope you like this dyed pasta as much as I do! Let me know what you think in the comments.